Find Out All You Need to Know About Wheat Germ Oil’s Health Benefits
What is wheat germ oil?
Wheat germ oil is an oil extracted from the germ of the wheat grain, which makes up only 2.5% of the grain weight. In the oil industry, wheat germ oil is an unrefined natural oil extracted from the kernel of the wheat grain at a low temperature and under low pressure. Wheel this oil is characterized by an orange-brown color, a pungent and pure odor, as well as a viscous consistency. In order to conserve Wheat germ oil for as long as possible, we recommend storing it under low temperatures. However, when exposed to high temperatures or sunlight, this oil can be damaged.
Although having multiple uses, wheat germ oil is considered as one of the richest oils being once called the oil of life due to having many benefits. Vitamins (B 1…. .2.5…), you will also find it a rich source of protein, lecithin, and essential fatty acids such as linoleic acid and oleic acid. The organic oil content of wheat germ oil is about 6-8 %, only 1 kg of wheat germ oil can be obtained from 2000 kg of wheat.
However, it is worth mentioning that wheat germ is used in the food industry and the production of certain foods due to its excellent and useful composition. Wheat germ is also used in the confectionery, bakery industries and is used in the production of many over-the-counter medicines due to its medicinal properties for the human body. In addition, this natural oil has recently been gaining importance in the world of cosmetics, especially in the field of natural hair and skin care products.
Advantages of wheat germ oil
Wheat germ oil contains a number of vitamins including vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, a group of health-promoting fatty acids called oleic acid, palmitic acid, and linoleic acid, as well as a number of minerals as potassium. These elements also provide zinc, phosphorus, iron, antioxidants, and many other health and beauty benefits.
|Nutritional value||wheat germ oil (1)|
|Total lipid (fat)||100 g|
|Choline, total||20 mg|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||149 mg|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||24.7 µg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||18.8 g|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||15.1 g|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||61.7 g|
The Benefits of wheat germ oil :
- Heart Health: Wheat germ oil helps lower harmful cholesterol levels in the body, strengthens the heart muscle, keeps it healthy, and protects the heart from the risk of diseases.
- Nervous system: Thanks to omega-3 fatty acids, it nourishes the nervous system, improves the general mood, relieves stress, anxiety, and tension.
- It strengthens the immune system: Strengthens the body’s immune system, protecting it from many diseases. It also provides the body with the necessary energy levels in order to prevent fatigue and stress. Furthermore, it helps protect the body from cancer.
- Oral and dental health: Continuous intake of wheat germ oil can treat mouth and gum infections and improve dental health.
- Hydration of the skin.
- Anti-ageing: This contains omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants that slow down the aging process. When applied directly to the skin, wheat germ oil is quickly absorbed. In addition, wheat germ oil has a pleasant fragrance. Therefore, it can be used in combination with normal body lotions and creams.
- Promotes energy: Wheat germ oil is rich in saturated elemental alcohol called octacosanol. This is important to increase the energy of the muscles in the body. Therefore, athletes are advised to use wheat germ oil to increase their endurance. In fact, this oil provides energy and enough oxygen to make you more energetic.
- Combat fat accumulation: Rely on your diet to lose weight effectively.
- Good source of protein: Wheat germ oil is rich in protein containing about 28% protein which nourishes the cells and keeps them healthy. It is also good for repairing damaged cells. If you are a vegetarian, you can also include it in your diet to get the same benefits as meat and other non-vegetarian foods.
- Ways to Treat Hair Problems: Wheat germ oil can help treat dry and damaged hair. Dryness and damage are usually due to a lack of vitamins and minerals that are naturally present in hair. However, after using the oil, you may notice a significant improvement in the elasticity, shine, and strength of the hair. Treating your hair with wheat germ oil increases its resistance to the sun, strong winds, and similar damaging influences. While the right way to use the oil is by applying and massaging it into the scalp for 15-30 minutes twice a week.
Learn More About the Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for Skin
Wheat germ oil is very rich in vitamin E and antioxidants. Using wheat germ oil on the skin helps to improve blood circulation, resulting in more radiant and fresh skin. On the other hand, the proteins and lecithin in wheat germ oil help to eliminate dry and cracked skin and can be mixed with some other oils such as olive oil.
Wheat Germ Oil for Dark Circles Under the Eyes
One of the benefits of wheat germ oil for the face is to treat dark circles under the eyes. Wheat germ oil can be applied under the eyes in the morning and evening.
Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for Oily Skin
The vitamin E found in wheat germ oil can help smooth and soften oily skin. Apply wheat germ oil to your face and rinse it off with water after about an hour.
Wheat Germ Oil Against Wrinkles
The antioxidants present in wheat germ oil help delay the appearance of wrinkles prevent diseases, and protect the skin from damage.
Wheat Germ Oil Against Cracks
The proteins and lecithin in wheat germ oil help treat dry, cracked skin, making it softer and more supple. Wheat germ oil can be used in combination with other oils such as sweet almond oil and olive oil to stimulate circulation and repair damaged skin cells.
Mix 2 tablespoons of wheat germ oil with 4 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil. This mixture is commonly used to treat stretch marks, sunburn, scars, dry skin, and skin aging.
This is how to use wheat germ oil on your skin
Wheat germ oil can be used together with a mixture of oils, but to avoid irritation or skin problems, the mixture should not exceed 15%. You can mix it with jojoba or carrot oil or with different fragrance oils such as lavender or clove.
It is worth mentioning that using a mixture of jojoba oil on the body is one of the good things that help to moisturize the whole body and achieve a wonderful softness and smoothness, plus it has a pleasant fragrance from the grace of nature.
Wheat germ oil generally has a positive effect on the skin, but it should not be used if you are allergic to gluten, one of the main ingredients in wheat germ, which can sometimes cause allergic reactions. It is also one of the substances that contain triglycerides, which can affect heart health, so people with heart problems are advised not to take it. It is also not recommended for people with intestinal problems.
Benefits of wheat germ oil for hair
Wheat germ oil contains vitamin E and fatty acids that help increase skin hydration. Studies have shown that the use of wheat germ oil helps to reduce the incidence of hair breakage and makes hair softer and stronger. In addition, the vitamin E contained in wheat germ oil stimulates the growth of capillaries and improves blood circulation, which leads to increased growth of hair follicles and thus prevents hair loss.
Wheatgrass oil nourishes the hair, gives it shine, strength and power, and protects it from hair breakage and damage thanks to its acidity level of 4 degrees. Also massaging the scalp with this oil protects the hair ends and stimulates blood circulation.
It strengthens and nourishes the hair and eliminates dandruff, split ends, baldness, and hair breakage. It also makes hair softer, thicker, and shinier, giving it more vibrancy throughout the day.
In fact, wheat germ oil is a versatile hair treatment that helps with almost all hair problems, such as.
- It promotes hair growth: Wheat germ oil is rich in B vitamins, which are necessary to promote hair growth and tissue formation. Therefore, applying it to the hair root is the best way to reduce hair loss and promote growth. The proteins contained in wheat germ oil are important for strengthening the hair follicles and hair and preventing hair breakage and dryness. In addition, the essential fatty acids and vitamins (E) contained in this oil regulates the lipid production of the scalp and provide natural protection for the hair follicles.
- It helps in the treatment of dry hair: Wheat germ oil contains a number of natural fatty acids that are easily absorbed by the scalp, such as linoleic acid and palmitic acid, which help to moisturize the scalp and prevent dryness. The antioxidants found in wheat germ oil help fight oxidative damage to the scalp and reduce pH imbalances that can lead to dryness. Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamins A, D, and E, which keep hair shiny and moisturized.
- Wheat germ oil also helps to smooth the hair: Instead of chemical alternatives, wheat germ oil is a natural catalyst that softens hair, is safe for hair and scalp health, and is inexpensive. Especially in the shower
- Wheat germ oil for curly hair: In very small quantities, wheat germ oil reduces the effects of static electricity that can disturb the hair. Thanks to its composition, it moisturizes and gives cohesion to the hair, smoothing the waves and giving it a healthy and shiny appearance. Moreover, this oil does not interfere with the production of natural hair oils.
- Protection of the scalp: Wheat germ oil contains protein, vitamin E, and essential fatty acids, all of which are important nutrients for the scalp. These ingredients also regulate the acidity of the scalp and help remove dead skin cells that have accumulated on the scalp. Wheat germ oil also has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It prevents bacterial and fungal infections such as dandruff.
- Helps to eliminate hair breakage: Brittle hair is often difficult to manage, but keeping your hair moisturized with wheat germ oil can help keep it beautiful and manageable.Linoleic acid, vitamin E, and B vitamins help repair hair damage.
How does wheat germ oil affect your hair?
Knowing the benefits of wheat germ oil for hair, it is advisable to note that some people may experience an allergic reaction or redness when wheat germ oil is applied to the scalp, try a small amount on a section of the scalp before use to ensure no negative side effects occur.
Contraindications For the Use of Wheat Germ Oil
The consumption with wheat germ oil is normally safe, with the exception of specific medical cases requiring a doctor’s advice to avoid the oil. However, there are still some major risks to be aware of when consuming wheat germ oil. Furthermore, who are the patients that should seek medical advice and take precautions when consuming wheat germ oil?
- Wheat germ oil should not be consumed by people with gluten or wheat allergies and should be avoided by people with coeliac disease;
- If you experience any unwanted symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, or indigestion while taking wheat germ oil, stop taking it immediately and consult your doctor;
- People who have blood clotting problems, such as low blood clotting due to vitamin K deficiency, or who bleed easily due to blood clotting problems;
- People who are allergic to vitamin E;
- People who have or may have heart disease. This is because wheat germ oil is rich in triglycerides, which can have a negative effect on the health of this group;
- Wheat germ oil should not be given to children who have digestive problems or disorders such as diarrhea or constipation as it contains gluten which can affect bowel movements and digestion.
- Before giving this oil to children or applying it to the skin, an allergy test should be done as it can cause an itchy rash.