As is well known, silicone oils have become a necessity that is used in large quantities today. Silicone oil has many different properties. While these oils are produced in factories, many chemical additives are put into them. For this, you can use silicone oil, which has many features, everywhere. You have the opportunity to get silicone oils with three different viscosities. It can be listed as medium viscosity, medium viscosity, and high viscosity.
What is silicone oil?
The polymeric structure of silicone oil (repetition of composition) consists mainly of silicon Si and O atoms alternating between them (…Si−O−Si−O−Si…)
Silicone oils are colorless, clear, non-toxic liquids. It is manufactured by chemical synthesis; Its most important component is the element silicon, which gives its name to all silicone and silicone oils. Silicone oils are used in a variety of fields, due to their excellent creeping properties, such as lubricants, defoamers or sealants, and hydraulic fluids. In its function as a crawler lubricant, it is surpassed only by a few mineral oils, but it does not tend to crack, crumble, or brittle. Silicone oils are also indispensable in the cosmetic and medical sectors – mainly due to their anti-foaming effect.
The chemical name for polysiloxane, belongs to the polymer. Silicone oil has been used in cosmetics since the 1950s and this application developed rapidly after the 1970s. Cosmetics containing silicone oil have the following properties:
• Good lubricating performance can form an even layer on the skin of a waterproof protective film, greasy feeling, and oily feeling, good gloss
• Good resistance to UV rays in the ultraviolet rays, not oxidation and cause skin irritation
• Anti-static performance and dust-proof effect
• Good permeability does not affect the secretion of sweat
• Good stability, chemical inertia, and proper performance.
Silicone oil is not known to play its role, we misunderstood silicone oil cosmetics with some advertising. However, we take responsibility to say that there is no evidence that silicone oil is teratogenic, carcinogenic, silicone oil is “pore-clogging” and much more is speculation.
For dry hair, it can be attached to the hair shaft, and the surface of the hair becomes smooth, basically no fairytales.
Where is silicone oil mostly used?
• In the manufacture of detergents and paper
• In the electronics and electronics industry
• In the construction industry and ceramic production areas
• In the cosmetics and pharmaceutical industry
• In medical products and in factories where plastic and rubber are produced
We have briefly written about the most commonly used areas of silicone oil, which have many other uses.
Advantages of silicone oil
Now let’s continue to get acquainted with this oil. One of the biggest advantages of silicone oil is that it increases the water-resistance of the lubricant fluid.
For this reason, it’s used in many large oil-related industries.
Silicone oil proves itself to us even at high temperatures.
Silicone oil is produced by testing according to several European standards. This oil can sometimes react even at room temperature.
The operating temperature of the oils is 180 degrees at most. On top of that, the oil will be damaged and rendered unusable. In fact, if your system is open, you should use it up to 150 degrees at most.
This substance is used in many industries as a release agent. For example, due to the high retention of mercury, this substance can be easily separated with silicone oil.
Silicone oil is kept different from many oils due to its different content and chemical structure. These oils, which have a great place in the industry, have a very wide application area. These oils, which have a colorless appearance, have many features, and I would like to list some of their features as follows:
• It is a good base and water separator. For this reason, it is possible to use this oil in places where water needs to separate and water is not desirable.
• It has a very low vapor pressure. For this reason, there will be very little pressure to generate vapor pressure during processing or use.
• In addition to the odorless property, it is clear. It looks like it’s water, but of course, it has a slightly darker characteristic compared to water.
• The surface tension is very low. This causes it to stretch too much. Thanks to the stretch, it creates many new areas of use.
• Do not conduct electricity. Therefore, it is used in the field of electronics.
• It is processed without adding other oils. So it is pure oil.
The fact that the oil has many features increases the area of use as we said before. Silicone oil is used in many fields as well as in this field.
So much so that silicone oil and silicone products have become indispensable tools in construction and industry.
Technical use of silicone oil in the food industry
Silicone oils remain relatively stable even under extreme weather conditions. As a lubricant, it reduces friction between components made of plastic, metal, rubber or glass. It is used, among other things, in vehicle construction (transmission, damping) and as an insulator. Some silicone oils are also used to impregnate textiles. Due to their low surface tension, silicone oils also serve as dehumidifiers in the food industry. In the production of fruit juices, canned foods or jams, for example, the addition of silicone oils prevents unwanted foaming. The most common is polydimethylsiloxane.
Silicone oils as an ingredient in cosmetics
In the cosmetic sector, silicone oils are used as additives in skin creams, make-up or sun protection products. It not only ensures the necessary softness and makes application easier, but also protects the skin from drying out. Silicone oils are hypoallergenic and well tolerated by the human body. So it can also be found in toothpaste, massage oils, and latex condoms.
Medical use of silicone oil
As a material, silicone oil can be found in the medical field, among other things, in plastic surgery (silicone gel in implants). It is also used as a temporary filler after the vitreous has been removed. Since silicone oils are non-toxic and foam inhibitors at the same time, they are used as an antidote to detergents or dishwashing detergents. Because of this active principle, silicone oil is also used for flatulence in the digestive system.
Silicone oil in eye:
Silicone oil has been used in eye surgeries since the 1960s when silicone oil is injected into the eye in cases of retinal detachment. In the event of retinal detachment, silicone oil injections can be an excellent solution.
Retinal detachment is an eye condition in which the retina is torn or separated from its normal position. One of the most prominent symptoms of this disease is double vision and the appearance of floating black spots or light spots in front of the eyes
Silicone oil fixes the retina on the eye wall, and the weakest part is the lower part of the retina.
silicone oil for hair
Silicon is a synthetic material derived from a chemical mixture of hundreds of different components, actual oxygen, and silicon. This substance counts each hair and creates sleek, shiny curls by soldering the scales and creating a protective lash for the hair. There are several types of silicone that differ in their chemical properties, depending on the specific materials used to obtain them.
The following types of this substance are used in cosmetology:
• Cyclomethicone – a volatile silicone, which evaporates after some time after being applied to the hair, making it smooth and touchable. This component is a conditioner and conditioner from famous manufacturers of hair care products such as L’Oreal, Nouvelle, or Parex.
• Dimethicone Copolyol – a light, water-soluble silicone that practically does not remain on scales, easily washed off with plain water. It is part of hair shampoo conditioners.
• Dimethicone – a water-insoluble silicone oil used in products for severely damaged and swollen curls. It is found in sprays, serums, and other means for restoring strands. Dimethicone provides a healthy effect to the hair and gives it a beautiful shine. However, at the same time, it weighs the hair and holds dust particles well, so the hairstyle quickly becomes dirty and untidy. Washing off dimethicone is not easy. You need to wash your hair with shampoo several times.
So, we found out that silicones are different. The better the cosmetic effect that creates a different type of this substance, the worse it is washed off. Now let’s talk about how silicone affects the hair and scalp.
Other things you should know about silicone oil
Any silicone oil prevents moisture from entering the hair structure from the environment. Therefore, substances containing silicone oil allow you to maintain your hair in conditions of high humidity. It is also a must-have for quickly giving your hair a stylish look.
But with the constant use of shampoos containing silicone oil, particles of this substance inevitably accumulate in the hair, even in the most expensive brands. Silicone does not harm health as it does not interact with the scalp, especially the blood circulation. However, the appearance of the hair can be affected – the hair will become dull and heavy, creating the impression of dirty hair. This effect is especially pronounced in girls with thin and sparse hair. It is better to completely refuse detergents made with silicone oil. The rest, to avoid this, it is enough to wash the hair 1-2 times a week with a shampoo that does not contain such substances.
Summarizing the above, we can conclude that silicone is a good cosmetic product for hair, and does not affect its health. The most important thing is that you use it sparingly and according to the advice of your doctor.
Why is silicone oil used in cosmetics?
Silicon is a chemical compound with high resistance to temperature fluctuations and deformation. Silicone does not degrade over time, is not affected by oxidation, and is not soluble in water. The peculiarity of silicon is that its molecules are biologically compatible with the cells of the human body but at the same time too large to penetrate into tissues and organs. So silicone does not cause allergic reactions, skin irritation, and diseases of internal organs.
Negative features of silicone oil
We also say a lot about the dangers of silicone oil if it is used in excess. It can be very severe and damage your hair. Prolonged accumulation of the substance on the hair leads to serious consequences:
• Loss of hair elasticity
• Reducing the number of hair strands Dry hair
• Color fragility and darkening
• Dermatitis, allergy and skin irritation Dermal occlusion
• Hair loss
• Bad and uneven coloring
What is silicone oil in cosmetics?
Silicone oil has been used in the cosmetic industry since 1940. In 1950, Revlon released the first silicone lotion and hairspray called the “Random Date”. But in medicine, silicone oil has been used for many years against burns and scars